Thursday, March 29, 2007


Two survivors and a maybe.

The fringe lilly should be ok as it grows from a smallish (edible) tuber, and grows as a short vine. I think that it is one of the nicest looking bush plants.

The growth on the rocks, being generally on the top and possibly protected from radient heat may be ok. Incidentally, due to the slow growth rate I would consider this specimen as "old growth" and worthy of the same conservation status as old growth forests.

I once told someone, (who I thought had the right values), about a special camping place that I had found, near a waterfall at the top of a hill. When they came back they told me proudly how they had cleared the moss in an area so they could sleep there...WTF!! The moss in this spot was about two inches thick and looked like the most special green carpet you could imagine - I always took especial care not to scuff or dislodge it in any way.

I have never told anyone else of the locations of my special spots - fuck em. They don't deserve to know.

Back to the subject....

The Orchid however, has very small seeds and an intense blaze may destroy them. They also live amongst the rocks so maybe they will come through.

Time will tell.





















5 Comments:

Blogger concerned citizen said...

What a wonderful symbol of hope. A sight like that flower would cheer even the most hardened cynic up.

My brother gets alot of his mushrooms from burns. Are mushrooms popping up?

8:09 AM  
Blogger rackorf said...

Yeh it's a pretty one for sure.
It's a bit early yet for mushies - I'll be keeping an eye out for them soon though:)

1:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very beautiful. Thanks. :- )

3:16 PM  
Blogger rackorf said...

I'll stick up some more flower pics soon - we have some different sorts of plants here - some have really miniscule flowers that are exquisite.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Arcturus said...

The main flower looks very ... female ... sorta Georgia O'Keeffe-ish.

Now as for your mossy "special spots" by waterfalls deep in the rugged bush country or dry forests, well, that's your bid'ness.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home