Tuesday, July 10, 2007
















Rackorfs' red hot fishing spot on a calm day.
I used to go out to the end of the rock point that you can see in the flicks, very slippery and treacherous rocks and due to the build up of sand over the years, the waves now are able to reach higher up, and at times over, the rock wall.
Last time, about ten years ago, when I went out there it was a bit hairy. I gave myself three "Oh fuck"s and had to duck down behind a handy rock as the waves came through (over). The last of which took my bait. Since then I haven't been to that particular spot. It's a real fucken shame though as there are some beaut fish to be had - real big cunts. Tailor mostly. Oh well, I'd rather live to fish another day and don't fancy the idea of being bounced off the rocks and trying to swim through the rips - especially with broken bits.
On some days the surfies ride the waves in and then ride the rebound back out - they go right up the rock face. I've seen the dolphins do the same.
Other days the rebound wave hits the incoming wave and creates a, sometimes thirty foot high, pyramid in the middle. At times the dolphins play in this and shoot out of the top of the pyramid.
On an average day fishing here I can catch about twenty or so good size fish - mostly herring, but depending on what I'm targeting also Tailor, Skippy, Whiting, Salmon, Mulloway and once a Pink Snapper.
I'm working from home today, but the sun is shining and the tides are good - so might just have to go and try my luck. Geez it's a fucken hard life.

5 Comments:

Blogger little things said...

Mmmm. Aren't you lucky, Rackorf?

8:13 PM  
Blogger rackorf said...

Yes, but you create your own luck.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Arcturus said...

"...you create your own luck."

You've been listening to some self-help guru, haven't you? Tony Robbins, maybe?? I'll bet you have a bumper sticker on your pick up truck that sez that!

Very nice pictures, by the way, and thank you for posting them. But I was wondering: if the sand has been building up by those rocks, why are the waves able to come up even higher? That seems counter-intuitive.

2:08 PM  
Blogger rackorf said...

It cannot be seen from the pics, but there is a beach off to the left of the rock spit. The water coming in here, to the beach, exits past the end of the rocks in a strong rip. This current carries a heap of sand with it, which has ben deposited in the small "bay" formed by the rocks.
These were only put in place about 12 or so years ago.
When they were first put in the waves mostly just smashed against them, now becuase the infill of sand has created shallower water, they are built up to a larger height than previously and hence reach further up and over the rocks.
(You could try this in your bath at home, simply get a couple of barrows of sand and some big fucken rocks - try making waves before and after adding sand and you will see what I mean.)
Re- your own luck- I'm my own self help guru. The ones that put on shows are for losers.

4:11 PM  
Blogger fifi said...

I love those wave-crashes, we call them zippers.
Here its quite the thing to be in the middle of the two opposing waves.

I have come home to a highly eroded beach with a cliff that looks like a layer cake. The lower layer is dark red clay under the sand. Strange.

2:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home