Monday, December 04, 2006

A few years ago, in my search for fish and good spots to catch them from with no-one else around, I found myself on a small rock groin. There are a few of these that are scattered every few hundred meters along the coast at this location -(they trap the sand so it 'stays' in one place).
I'd been there an hour or so, back to the wind, happily fishing away -(not catching anything, that's ok though - a catch is just a bonus) and minding my own fucking business.
Along comes a surfie - who proceeds to ask me to fish somewhere else as he wanted to surf where I was fishing. Being the caring sharing type that I am, when I finished laughing, I politely said for him to stick his surfboard up his arse and fuck off.
Rather unwisely, I felt, he decided to surf where I was fishing anyway. The set up that I was using that day was a ten foot beach rod, fifty pound line with a trace and a set of triple gang hooks with a treble behind them. I mentioned to the cunt that it was his look out and if he got caught - so be it.
Well it took a few casts, but eventually, my hooks ended up in a head full of dreadlocks about fifty meters out. As a keen fisherman I have caught heaps of differant species, they all put up a differant sort of fight. I'd never caught a surfie before.
I set the drag and commenced the fight, sort of like catching a stingray or a big clump of weed, that yells.
Pump and wind, pump and wind - its getting closer and louder - attached to it is a surfboard, sort of like a ramora on a shark.
The surfie got a bit of help from a wave and gained a few meters, luckily the fifty pound line held. And about ten minutes later it was nearly at the rocks at my feet. Then, as sometimes happens, it gave a flick of the head and got off. Spew. The first one i'd hooked and it's gotten away - oh well saves gutting it and all.
Interestingly, the surfie didn't want to play anymore and seemed a bit pissed off for some reason - and off it went towards the carpark - where my old landcruiser is the only car there.
I was not worried.
When I finished fishing - didn't get anything else - I goes back to the ute, and can see by the tracks that the surfie had approached the ute, closely - hmmm, maybe he had evil intentions - bad move - that is where the dog stays.
The dog is a bit more, ( actually rather a lot more), anti social than I am and takes exception to folks going near "his" ute, the tracks showed that the surfie had met the dog and decided to do the bolt rather quickly - well at a run if truth be told. The dog sat smiling at me through the scars on his snout, he'd had a fun day as well. Ripped the top off a beer and fucked off back to the bush and whatever new adventures awaited us.
I think I'll go fishing today.

9 Comments:

Blogger concerned citizen said...

THAT was pretty darn funny!

8:07 PM  
Blogger little things said...

Did you catch anything today?

8:33 PM  
Blogger rackorf said...

Sadly I didn't catch anything today, except a solitary herring.

11:52 PM  
Blogger Arcturus said...

It must be pure magic being you, Rackorf...

You really told him to stick his surfboard up his ass? What did he say to that? And your fishing line snagged his surf board at 50 meters out? That's one heckuva long fishing line. And he didn't make a fuss?

I noticed you used the correct word "groin" -- most folks say "jetty." That was the case at the Jersey shore where I grew up. But a jetty is a special kind of structure. Unfortunately, the upper Jersey shore has been messed with for, like, three centuries and "groin fields" developed in which sand is, so to speak, robbed from Peter to pay Paul. You end up with a fortress like appearance with no beach at high tide. But our Army Corps of Engineering took care of that with a gargantuan beach replenishment project that needs to be maintained each year.

Result: the groins are now concealed ...

Can you post a picture of the pooch? Just curious to see that adorable little puppy that belongs to our incomparable Rackorf!
:-)

10:24 AM  
Blogger little things said...

Solitary herring. Would that be related to 'red herring'?

12:15 PM  
Blogger rackorf said...

Up his arse. And my hooks snagged his head at fifty meters out - make a fuss - should have heard the cunt carry on, anyone would have thought he was being skull dragged behind a set of fucken gang hooks or something :)

Everytime I try to get a shot of the pooch he manages to fuck it up - goes from his usual staunch fierce look into a goopy, slouching, ears folded down, eyes shut, mutt - then reverts to hiself as soon as the camera goes away. grrrr.

Nah it was just an ordinary herring today, better than the red ones, and heaps better than a blind mullet - (I'd cut my line if I got one of them on it)

12:53 PM  
Blogger Debstar said...

Ive caught plenty of rock fish a number of stick fish but never a blind mullet. I hear you need to go to Bondi Beach for the best blind mullet. I wonder if your US friends know what a blind mullet is. Are you gonna tell them if they ask?

Surfie fishing sounds like great fun maybe you should plan a fishing trip over to Bells Beach.

4:06 PM  
Blogger concerned citizen said...

What's a blind mullet?

6:38 PM  
Blogger rackorf said...

http://www.blindmulletcatering.com/ - nothing like this! They wouldn't get much business here I'd reckon.

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home